These Terms and Conditions set out what you can expect from Cochrane (“we” or “us”) in terms of services or benefits provided to a Member (“you”). They also set out the rules to which you must agree in order to gain membership of Cochrane.
Cochrane's Articles of Association set out our legal definition and specifications for membership. These Terms and Conditions provide further practical detail for Members, but they do not supersede the Articles of Association.
Cochrane is a UK registered Charity Number 1045921, whose registered office is St Albans House, 57-59 Haymarket, London, SW1Y 4QX, United Kingdom.
1. Membership definition
A "Member" of Cochrane is an individual who meets the eligibility criteria set out in paragraph 2 of these Terms and Conditions and has confirmed acceptance of these Terms and Conditions.
2. Eligibility to be a Member
We operate a contribution-based membership system. You will be eligible to become a Cochrane Member for a defined time-period once you have completed a set number of activities. The activities required are detailed in our Membership thresholds.
Cochrane Membership is open to anyone who has reached the required membership thresholds, with the exception of those currently employed by:
- Pharmaceutical companies; and
- Medical device companies.
Employees working in these industries are considered to have potential conflicts of interest in Cochrane’s work and so they are not eligible to become Cochrane Members. We reserve the right to update and expand the eligibility criteria in accordance with paragraph 11 of these Terms and Conditions.
3. Commitments of a Member
In accepting membership you will be:
- Committing to abide by the rules, principles, policies and regulations of Cochrane as established by its Governing Board. See the About Us section on our website for more information.
- Confirming that you are eligible to become a Member as set out in paragraph 2 of these Terms and Conditions, and that you will inform us if, at a later date, you cease to be eligible.
- Providing us with the appropriate consent to handle your personal information in accordance with the UK Data Protection Act 1998, as set out in our data protection policy.
4. Membership must be earned
Membership is an acknowledgement of what you have contributed to Cochrane. It is not possible to pay to gain membership; you can only gain membership through contributions.
5. Member benefits
Current benefits include, but are not necessarily limited to:
- The right to stand for internal governance positions.
- The right to vote in Cochrane elections and at general meetings. Every Member has one vote.
- Member communications
- Further benefits will be announced in October 2017
Benefits are not transferable.
6. Duration of Membership
Membership is time-limited. Membership terms vary depending on the contributions made as detailed in our Membership thresholds. You will be informed in advance of your membership expiring so that you can undertake further contributions to retain your Member status. If your membership expires you will no longer be entitled to the benefits of membership as set out in paragraph 5 of these Terms and Conditions.
7. Our right to refuse or withdraw Membership
In accordance with clause 4 of our Articles of Association, the Governing Board reserves the right to refuse or withdraw an individual's membership.
8. Your right to end your Membership
You may cancel your membership at any time by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org. Once your membership has been cancelled you will no longer be entitled to the benefits of membership as set out in paragraph 5 of these Terms and Conditions.
Membership is not transferable.
10. Queries, comments and complaints
We aim to respond to any query or complaint received within five (5) working days. This may be an acknowledgement that we have received your query or complaint whilst further investigations are carried out.
You can contact us:
- by email: email@example.com;
- by telephone: +44 (0)207 183 7503 (lines are open Mon-Fri 9am-5pm UK time) (excluding UK public holidays); or
- by post: Cochrane, St Albans House, 57-59 Haymarket, London SW1Y 4QX, UK.
We may change these Terms and Conditions at any time upon giving you 14 days' written notice. The most recent edition of these Terms and Conditions will be binding for all Members.